Are you interested in writing for the Plant? In sending in art, poetry, reviews, op-eds, little videos, or anything at all?
If so, here’s an explanation of how it works.
The Plant operates in print and online.
The Plant publishes on a monthly basis. Each issue is on a set theme (e.g. September: Gun Violence, October: Mental Health, November: Politics), so only submissions that fit the theme will be taken. However, some themes will be more general than others.
The step-by-step process of submitting is
- Pitch your article/art idea to the relevant section editor. You can contact them via email or get in touch with them on Facebook. If sending an email, remember to cc email@example.com, just to make sure that someone sees it.
- Write your article. Have fun with it! Tap into the vast network available to you at Dawson–just make sure to be professional in your interactions (i.e. respect the wishes of the interviewee, keep things that are said to be off-the-record off the record, etc.).
- Submit your article via email by (but preferably before) the above dates. Again, cc firstname.lastname@example.org
For online submissions, we take a much larger variety of topics. Want to write about a new service available at Dawson? Contact our News Editors, Sam and Camron. Want to write a review of an art exhibition you saw? Contact our Arts and Culture Editor, Hannah. Want to submit your opinion on something that’s important to you? Or interview an interesting person? Contact our Voices Editor, Maud. Covering a Dawson Blues game? Contact our Sports Editor, Joey. Heard about a cool science experiment? Contact our Sciences Editor, Sabina. Want to submit photos or art of any kind? Contact our Photographer, Jeremy or our Art Editor, Alex. Make comics? Contact our Curiosities Editor, Gaby.
Of course, what’s mentioned above is a small portion of what you can write about. We strongly prefer articles with a Dawson focus for most sections. Voices is a bit of an exception insofar as Op-Eds from Dawson students express Dawson voices. However, tying those articles in with Dawson or your life in particular is helpful in terms of making them more effective.
Here’s the step-by-step process of submitting online.
- Think of an article idea or art you’d like to submit. Pitch it to our editors if you’d like, but it isn’t necessary.
- Write your article. Have fun with it! Tap into the vast network available to you at Dawson–just make sure to be professional in your interactions (i.e.respect the wishes of the interviewee, keep things that are said to be off-the-record off the record, etc.).
- Submit it by sending it to the relevant section editor. Cc email@example.com just to make sure that someone sees it.
Here are some handy links:
- Staff Directory
- Style Guide
- Submit Direct (note that name is a mandatory field in the direct submission tool, but you’re welcome to submit something as “Anonymous” if you prefer)
- The Contributors Facebook Group
- Our Facebook Page
Come visit us at our office, 2C.10. Office hours to come!
Can’t find an issue? Our newsstands can be found in any of the six locations around the school:
- By the lower atrium escalator
- Inside the Maisonneuve entrance
- Outside the Plant office (2c.10)
- By the escalators/D wing on the second floor
- By the E wing on the fifth floor (outside the Library entrance)
- Inside the Sherbrooke entrance by the elevators
To find out more, come to our monthly General Meetings, which will take place at 6pm on the dates in the calendar above, usually in the Rose Lounge (7C.5).
All the best,
Editor in Chief 2016-2017
The Plant Newspaper
Last updated 2016-10-31